PDJ Industries Pty Ltd
Outdoor fire pit
Safety instructions and product disclaimer
Important Note: Australian Consumer Law
The goods we supply come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. If you are a consumer as defined by the Australian Consumer Law, the following applies to you: “You are entitled to a refund or replacement for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality”.
All PDJ Industries outdoor fire pits (the “product”) are provided as is and are subject to the automatic consumer guarantees under Australian Consumer Law. PDJ Industries does not extend any additional warranties to its customers.
PDJ Industries’ relinquishes control over use of the product upon sale and assumes no liability thereafter. PDJ Industries is not liable, under any circumstances, for any loss, damage, injury or expense of any kind arising from or connected with the use of the product. Users of the product should exercise caution and common sense at all times.
Users of the product do so at their own risk
- Improper installation, adjustment, alteration or maintenance of the product can cause injury or property damage.
- Read the installation, operation and maintenance instructions thoroughly before installing, using or servicing the product. Failure to do so could result in property damage, personal injury or death.
- The product is not for use by children under sixteen (16) years of age.
- The product is for outdoor use only, and must not be used in any enclosed space. Improper use can result in the accumulation of carbon monoxide and other noxious gases and may result in serious health consequences including death.
- The product is intended for use on hard, level and non-combustible surfaces such as concrete, rock or stone, not for use on surfaces such as timber decking.
- Do not use the product in an explosive environment; ensure that the surrounding area is clear and free from combustible materials, gasoline, flammable vapours or liquids.
- Do not wear flammable or loose clothing when operating the product.
- Do not leave the product unattended at any time.
- You must obtain our prior approval before installing the product in your customer’s premises.
- Always use the product in accordance with applicable local, state and national regulations. If you are unsure, contact your local or state fire authority for more information.
- When using the product exercise the same caution that you would around any open fire.
Warranty for commercial customers
We offer our commercial customers who have purchased our premium product a voluntary product warranty in addition to any statutory warranties that they may be entitled to. We warrant that for a period of 2 years from the date of purchase we will at your election repair, replace or provide a refund for any product that is faulty or defective in manufacture or materials.
Where we replace a product we will endeavour to replace it with an identical product, where possible. In circumstances where we cannot supply you with an identical product we will supply you with another product of the same type, value and quality, noting that the replacement product may be of a different size, shape, colour and/or capacity.
To the extent permitted by law, this voluntary warranty only covers the repair or replacement of a defective product or the refund of monies paid by you to us in respect of a defective product. It does not cover any loss, damage, costs (including legal costs), expenses (whether direct, indirect, incidental, special and/or consequential), loss of profits, revenue, production, opportunity, access to markets, goodwill, reputation or any loss or damage relating to business interruptions or otherwise, suffered by you or claims made against you, arising out of or in connection with .a defective product.
Release of liability
By assembling the product, you agree that you have read and understood the entire product manual (the “manual”) that was supplied with the product, including all instructions and warnings, prior to the use of the product. You additionally agree that you will ensure all additional and subsequent users of the product will read and understand the product manual. Misuse or improper use of the product could result in property damage, personal injury or death. The risks and dangers associated with the product can be avoided by following the above warnings and through the proper use of the product. Your assembly and use of the product is evidence of your agreement to follow the instructions and abide by the warnings set forth in the manual.
Your assembly and use of the product constitutes a release, to the extent permitted by law, by you of us for any and all liability for any loss, damage, injury and/or expense that you or any other user of the product may suffer as a result of the use of the product. Your assembly and use of the product further constitutes an agreement to assume and accept the risks of injury to yourself and/or third parties through the use of the product.
- Do not use the product without reading and understanding the entire manual.
- The use of alcohol, prescription or non-prescription drugs may impair your ability to properly assemble or safely operate the product.
- The product is for use with dry, seasoned hardwood as it will burn hotter, more completely and create less smoke.
- Do not burn charcoal briquettes, lump charcoal, manufactured logs, driftwood, trash, leaves, paper, cardboard, plywood, painted or stained or pressure treated wood.
- Avoid using softwoods such as pine or cedar that can throw sparks.
- Do not use the product until it is completely assembled.
- Do not use petrol, kerosene, diesel fuel, lighter fluid, alcohol or any other accelerant to light or relight fires.
- Place a fire-starter or tinder in the bottom of the product, layering dry kindling on top in a teepee shape; progressively increasing in diameter.
- Use a match or lighter to ignite the fire-starter or tinder.
- As required, add seasoned dry timber, increasing in size as needed to build the fire to a safe size.
- Do not add more than 20 kg of timber to the product as excessive weight on the product may result in damage.
- Allow the fire to burn itself out or use clean sand to smother the fire.
- Do not use water or commercial extinguisher in normal operations as this may cause damage to the product.
- All surfaces of the product are hot when in operation and can cause severe burns.
- Do not touch the product until it has completely cooled unless you are wearing protective gear (for example potholders or protective mittens).
- Never touch ashes or coals to see if they are hot.
- Do not attempt to remove ashes or coals, move, store or disassemble the product until all ashes and coals are completely extinguished and cold.
- Ensure all cold ash has been removed from the product before disassembly.
Care of the product
- The product is made from mild steel, and as such will rust/oxidise as intended.
- To avoid excess rust, clean and store the product as per instructions.
- Do not attempt to clean the product until the fire is completely out and cold.
- Do not use oven cleaner or abrasive cleaners as they will damage the product.
- After disassembly, rinse the steel with water to remove any material on its surface.
- Use an oil based product on all surfaces to reduce excess rusting.
- Ensure at least 24 hours before reuse to avoid residue fire from the above oil based product catching alight.
- Store the product in a sheltered, covered environment to maximise the life of the product.
PDJ Industries Pty Ltd ABN 72 603 129 755
This document was last updated on 21 October 2016